Friday, August 16, 2013

Baby Rachel Lynn Grafel

I have neglected my blog for awhile.  So sorry.  I have been wanting to sit down and write out about Rachel's birth.  Where to start....I was diagnosed with Gestational Diabetes about 1/2 way through my pregnancy so I had to prick my finger three times a day and test my blood.  Then about a week before I had baby I was diagnosed with Preeclampsia.  I was ordered by my doctor to not return to work.  I had to tell my boss that I was on ordered bed rest until baby came.  On Saturday, April 13th, I checked into the hospital and was actually in labor.  The doctor gave me some medicine to soften my cervix.  I had the medicine for the whole day and was having contractions.  My doctor, Dr. Wolf, came in early the next morning and checked me.  I was only dilated to a 1.  She gave me Pitocin to try and move things along.  I had an epidural placed which was one of the worst parts.  Jason had to hold me so I wouldn't move while the doctor was putting it in.  I would cry out in pain and Jason would hold on tighter while the nurse had to remind me to breath.  Once that was done, the epidural did its job and it felt better because I was having pretty strong contractions.  Dr. Wolf kept coming in to check me and each time I was only dilated to a 1 even though I was having strong contractions.  She eventually broke my water at about 2:00 pm.  She told me that if nothing had changed by 10:00 pm that she would do a C-Section.  She could not understand why I wasn't dilating.  She couldn't feel baby's head either.  I labored the whole rest of that day having to be moved by the nurses when the side I was laying on would go numb.  I could feel some of the contractions and was very glad for modern medicine and my epidural.  When 10:00 pm rolled around, Dr. Wolf checked me again and I was still dilated only to a 1.  So she ordered a C-Section.  She called in a team and they were there very quickly.  I was rolled into the operating room and was given more medicine (like a spinal) which made me completely numb.  I was still very worried I would feel the incision even when my doctor was poking and pinching me and I was not feeling anything.  The operation began and I felt like I was going to throw up.  A large bucket was placed under my chin while I turned my head in case I had to vomit.  Finally, at 11:11 pm my baby, Rachel Lynn, was born.  She was beautiful!  She was perfect!  She cried a bit but not too much and was as pink as can be.  Dr. Wolf said, "I normally don't say this, but...she is so very cute!"  Even if Dr. Wolf says that to everyone, I loved hearing it because I agreed.  Rachel was taken over to the table behind me and cleaned up a bit.  Then the nurse let me kiss her and talk to her.  She then had to be taken to the nursery.  Jason, a proud dad, went with her. 
Dr. Wolf then informed me that I have a large fibroid tumor in my uterus (about the size of a grapefruit at the time).  We were unable to see the tumor the whole pregnancy because Rachel was laying on it which flattened it.  That is the reason she could not drop into the birth canal.  That is why I never dilated more than a 1.  I asked her to take it out but she said if she did right after giving birth that I could bleed to death.  So we decided it might not be a good idea.  She said the tumor will shrink in size now that I have delivered and if it gives me problems I can have it removed.  It would mean another surgery and I am thinking I can live it with for now.  I never knew it was there before and Dr. Wolf says I have probably had it for a long time.  I guess many women get these tumors and they are not dangerous.  Mine just happened to be in the perfect spot that did not allow a natural birth.  If I decide to have another child I will have to have a C-Section again.  I then started shaking uncontrollably and they had to give me some medicine to make it stop.  I was taken to my room and Jason brought Rachel in.  At that moment I forgot all the pain and everything I had gone through for nine months.  All I could think about was my perfect miracle baby!  I am so blessed to have her!  I then started shaking uncontrollably and they had to give me some medicine to make it stop.  I was taken to my room and Jason brought Rachel in.  At that moment I forgot all the pain and everything I had gone through for nine months.  All I could think about was my perfect miracle baby!  I am so blessed to have her!
 
 
 
 















No comments:

Post a Comment